Following on from my article 10 Things You Can Do To Show You Really Are A Non-Resident For Australian Tax Purposes, find below some more ideas to support your position of non-residency.
To become a non-resident for Australian tax purposes you will need to demonstrate to the Australian Tax Office that you do not satisfy one of the four residency tests. This is discussed in more detail in my special report – Tax Implications for Australians Working Abroad, where I discuss the tests for establishing whether or not you are a resident for Australian tax purposes, and what the implications are.
2. Change your mailing address to your foreign address, or redirect your mail to your foreign address
3. Allow your Australian drivers licence to expire and obtain a new drivers licence in your new country of residence
4. Dispose of your investments in Australia, or document your investment strategy for keeping them
5. Inform the share registries (for any shares you hold) of your foreign address and that you are now a non-resident for tax purposes
6. Advise Centrelink that you have left the country
7. Do not make any medicare claims
10. Avoid returning to Australia on a regular basis
11. Cancel your sporting club and other memberships and take out new ones overseas
12. Purchase major household effects (eg. a car or furniture) in your new country of residence
13. Fill in your immigration card correctly when leaving Australia
14. Resign from your employment in Australia (don’t just take leave without pay)
15. Do not return to Australia to live permanently for at least two years.
If you are claiming to be a non-resident of Australia for tax purposes, it is also important to record your logic and retain documentation that supports your position. If or when you return to Australia, the Australian Tax Office may audit you when you change your tax residency back to being an Australian resident. Share your experiences in the comments section below on how you are or have demonstrated that you are not an Australian resident for tax purposes.
Would you like a clean pdf copy of the 25 things you can do to show you really are not an Australian resident for tax purposes? Download pdf by clicking on the button below
Get 25 Things PDF File Now
Disclaimer : The information contained on this website is intended only as general commentary and does not purport to be comprehensive. No warranty is provided as to the accuracy. It should not be regarded as tax, financial, or legal advice. Remember, the value of an investment can go down as well as up, and you should seek professional advice that considers your personal situation and country of residence before taking action.
Other Articles You Might Be Interested In :