When moving abroad from Australia, here is a quick checklist of some organisations you may need to notify when moving abroad from Australia. We have also included convenient links (where appropriate) to other articles which further explain what you may need to do.
Government Organisations You May Need to Notify When Moving Abroad From Australia
Australian Electoral Commission
- You should either register as an overseas elector with the Australian Electoral Commission or elect to be removed from the electoral roll. Read more here on Voting in Australian Elections while living overseas
Australian Tax Office
- If you have an outstanding higher education or trade support loan debt, then as of 1 July 2017 you have an obligation to continue making repayments on your outstanding loan whilst living abroad. See HECS Debt Repayment Obligations For Australians Living Overseas
- In case you forget to notify change of address to anyone when moving abroad from Australia, you can set up a mail redirection with Australia Post.
- If you are receiving any government benefits (eg. family payments, pensions etc) your entitlement to these may change when moving abroad from Australia. So, to avoid any penalties later, you should advise Centrelink to ensure you do not receive any benefits you are no longer entitled to.
Private Organisations You May Need to Notify When Moving Abroad From Australia
Banks & Financial Institutions
- If you are becoming a non-resident for Australian tax purposes, then you will want to advise your bank so that they will deduct non-resident witholding tax from your interest payments
- If your bank uses two factor authentication / approval for internet banking, you may need to update your mobile phone details before suspending the use of your Australian mobile phone number
- If own any shares or managed funds, and you are becoming a non-resident for Australian tax purposes, then you will want to advise the share registries or managed funds such that they can deduct non-resident witholding tax from your dividend payments where appropriate.
Private Health Insurance
- If you no longer require private health insurance in Australia while living abroad, then you can seek to suspend your private health insurance in Australia during your time overseas.
- If you own your home in Australia, then you may need to change the nature of your house and contents insurance whilst living abroad. If you are renting out your home while living abroad then you may need to change your policy to include landlord’s insurance.
Other Organisations Where You May Need to Advise of a Change of Address
- Financial Advisor
- Life Insurance / Income Protection Insurance Companies
- Loyalty programs, frequent flyer memberships & store cards
- Newspapers & magazine subscriptions (can you switch to electronic subscription?)
- Property Manager
- Superannuation Fund(s
Are you moving abroad from Australia? Save money by comparing multiple quotes for international removals…
Complete the form below and Triglobal will arrange to for up to five qualified international removal companies to provide a free, no obligation quote for your international move based on the details you provide. You will then be contacted directly by each international removal company with details of their quote for you to start comparing the best deal. By completing the form below, you agree to sharing your information and contact details with Triglobal and the selected removal companies.
Disclaimer : This information is for educational purposes only and does not constitute financial or taxation advice. As this information is not advice and has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs you should, before acting on this information, consider its appropriateness for your circumstances. Independent advice should be obtained from an Australian financial services licensee before making investment decisions, and a registered (tax) financial advisor/accountant in relation to taxation decisions. To the extent permitted by law, we exclude all liability for any loss or damage arising in any way.